Geriatric Medicine Unit, People’s Hospital of Peking University
The People’s Hospital of Peking University Geriatric Medicine Unit is a multidisciplinary clinical care program for seniors emphasizing continuity of care across multiple sectors of health care delivery.
Our services emphasize wellness promotion and improvement in daily function. We are advocates for the health of seniors.
The Geriatric Medicine Unit includes 39 beds dedicated to the frail elderly, age 60 years and above. We are 18 doctors and 23 nurses whose work are grounded in deep commitment to and respect for older persons. The goal of the unit is to deliver multi-disciplinary care that incorporates the very best in medicine, nursing, rehabilitation, nutrition, social services and spiritual support. Recognizing the deep involvement of families in the care of their loved ones, our unit offers a family room. The unit recognizes the special needs of the elderly and displays, low-rise beds and wheelchair-accessible showers.
All of our staff undergo comprehensive geriatric based education and competency training and our staff education is continuously being updated to ensure the high quality of services.
Director of the unit
Jingtong Wang, Professor, M.D.
We provide patient and family centered care in the context of each individual's functional situation. Our team, which includes specialists in geriatric medicine and geriatric nursing, develops a comprehensive care plan for each patient. Emphasis is placed on wellness promotion and improvement in daily functioning. Our staff coordinates your care across the continuum, which may include hospitalization and outpatient services.
TREATMENTS & SERVICES
We offer primary care to patients over the age of 65 and through the continuum of geriatric outpatient and inpatient services
We specialize in primary care of patients over the age of 65
- With the goal of emphasizing preventive care and health maintenance, our physicians work in teams with nurse practitioners, pharmacists and clinical nutritionist
- We are particularly interested in helping manage the challenges facing patients with multiple chronic conditions, functional limitations, cognitive impairment and their families
If you are admitted to the People’s Hospital your Senior Health physician or member of our team will follow you during your hospital stay. People’s Hospital is a teaching hospital, and we are pleased to work in collaboration with physicians in training who will see you in addition to our staff.
Upon discharge from the hospital we request that you make a follow up appointment with our physician in two weeks.
We offer Consultation services for specific medical problems.
What is a Senior Health Geriatric Consultation?
The consultation is a comprehensive examination by a physician specializing in Geriatric Medicine of a new or existing problem being experienced by a patient age 65 or older.
We offer consultation on specific medical problems as three teams:
Cardiopathy and Respiratory
- Coronary heart disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Digestion and Nutrition
- Peptic ulcer
- Mensenteric artery sclerosis
- Reflux esophagitis
Endocrine and Neurology
- Memory Problems
What is the goal of the consultation?
The goal of the consultation is to provide the patient and patient's caregiver with:
- An independent, in depth assessment of a specific condition or general concern
- A review of the patient's current plan
- Advice about evaluation and management of the situation
- If appropriate, additional tests for further evaluation
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Training medical and nursing students.
- The unit develops and enhances training in the primary care of older adults for medical fellows and master's level of internal medicine and general practice students. An interdisciplinary approach to care is taught. Special diagnostic and management strategies are critical to the wellbeing of older adults. Despite progress over the last decade, many health professionals still receive insufficient training in these strategies, especially in primary care. Through the expertise of its practice members, our unit is uniquely positioned to lead the training of health professionals at People’s Hospital.
- The Unit is actively involved in interdisciplinary education at the undergraduate, graduate, community, and continuing medical education levels. In 2008, the unit served as a teaching site for the general practitioner education. There are more than 50 general practitioners and 11 graduate students for general practice trained here in recent eight years.
- Health education and health promotion services are effective, widely popular. Currently, Geriatrics Unit organizes some lectures on common chronic disease in connection with the elderly.
- Geriatric Nurse Practitioner Senior health is a teaching site for the bachelor's-level nurse practitioner students and the nursing practitioner.
The research is grounded in a deep respect for elder persons, and a commitment to improving their health, well-being, and quality of life. The Geriatric Medicine Unit devotes into international exchange programs as well. The commitment extends to all elder persons across the spectrum of the aging experience.
Our research is sponsored by National Natural Science Foundation, Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Fund.
Much of our work is focused on gastrointestinal mucosal immunity, ageing, hypoxia and cognitive impairment, diabetes and cognitive impairment.